A Virtual Private Network (VPN) routes your internet connection through a private server. This allows for employees to connect to the campus network while working remotely. That means employees will be able to receive updates they would otherwise get on a campus computer. Employees issued campus computers should connect to this VPN to keep up to date while working remotely.
Connecting to the VPN
1. Visit https://byuivpn.byui.edu.
2. Log in to your BYU-Idaho account. Authenticate with Duo if necessary.
3. Select Download Windows 64 bit GlobalProtect agent if you have a Windows computer.
Select Download Mac 23/64 bit GlobalProtect agent if you have a Mac computer.
4. Once completed, select the downloaded content to begin installation.
5. Follow the prompts from your computer to install.
You may need to allow the Palo Alto Network File to make changes on your computer. Select Allow.
6. Open the GlobalProtect desktop app. It will place itself on the bottom right toolbar. If it isn't there, try the carrot menu to the left.
7. Enter byuivpn.byui.edu into the Portal Address field.
8. Enter your BYU-Idaho credentials into the window that appears and authenticate with Duo.
Once you are connected to the VPN, the GlobalProtect icon will turn green and blue.
1. To disconnect, simply click on the GlobalProtect icon and select Disconnect.
Updates with VPN (PC Only)
1. Verify your connection to the VPN by checking the GlobalProtection icon. It should be blue and green. If it is white, you will need to reconnect.
2. Select the Search icon in the bottom-left corner.
3. Search for CMD, then select Command Prompt.
4. In the code window that pops ups, type gpupdate /force and press enter to search for the latest group policy.
This command will tell your computer to follow a new policy IT is implementing that will allow updates to be installed in the future without connecting to the campus network or VPN.
5. When it has finished, select the Search icon, search for Updates, and then select Check for updates.
6. In the window that opens, select the Check for Updates button. You may have to restart the computer in order for updates to finish.
Once the updates have finished, you will be fully connected to the VPN and receive any updates you would have gotten on campus.